Fall 2023 Final Exams
- Asynchronous Classes: In most cases, instructors teaching asynchronous online classes should not be offering a synchronous final exam. In these rare instances, final exam schedulers should reach out to email@example.com with appropriate justification if an on-campus room needs to be scheduled and the section should schedule their final exam during one of the approved final exam periods.
- Faculty are allowed to decide if a final exam is required. It is up to the faculty member to communicate final exam requirements with their students.
- For fall 2023, schedulers will begin to report and record final exam changes to the Office of the Registrar starting July 24 and ending August 4.
- The general Final Exam search and the student “My Final Exam Schedule” search will open August 21 for the fall term.
The list of final exam periods can be found in the Fall 2023 Course Schedule.
The following final exam room schedule documents are subject to change and are for UT Austin staff and faculty use only.
Spring 2024 Final Exams
Spring 2024 final exams will occur as scheduled.
Synchronous Classes (those with a day/time assigned): Final exams for spring 2024 synchronous classes will occur as scheduled as posted in our list of default final exam periods.
Asynchronous Classes: In most cases, instructors teaching asynchronous online classes should not be offering a synchronous final exam. In these rare instances, final exam schedulers should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to provide the unique, one of the approved asynchronous final exam periods, and the room request if needed.
Faculty are allowed to decide if a final exam is required. It is up to the faculty member to communicate final exam requirements with their students.
For spring 2024, schedulers will begin to report and record final exam changes to the Office of the Registrar starting November 27 and the reporting system will close December 8.
The general Final Exam search and the student “My Final Exam Schedule” search will open January 16 for spring 2024 classes.
Basics for final exam reporting
See the Required User Guide, How Reporting Works and our Final Exam Schedulers Canvas site and the for detailed final exam reporting instructions and resources. See the final exam policies page for policies.
Final exam schedulers are responsible for reporting:
- If the class will administer a final exam. (“YES”, “NO”, if unsure-report “NO”)
- If a departmental room will be used for an exam (enter room number)
- If class requests to examine in its regular class meeting room
- If request is for regular, uniform, or makeup exam. (Uniform exams require scheduling a makeup exam.)
- Additional requests/Short notes to leave us
- preferred room/attributes (eg. CWS, MC)
- number of students taking the exam (if differs from enrollment)
- double seating (DS)
- multiple rooms ok/number of rooms can proctor (eg. Multi rms OK; proctor 10 max)
- Related sections:
- Home department is responsible for reporting exam information for related sections.
- For no exam, related sections must all report “No” for each section.
Only ask for a room when you know you need one.
Use the “Print Status Report” link within the final exam reporting system before reporting closes.
After reporting closes
After the reporting system is closed, final exam requests will be processed as time and resources allow, and are subject to review by the department’s Dean’s Office. Classes requesting to change their default exam period do not receive scheduling priority, require explicit approval from their Dean's Office, and will be assigned space where available. Classes requesting to not offer an exam after reporting closes require approval from the Dean's office.
List of default final exam periods
All classes default into a final exam period based on the list of default final exam periods:
Spring 2024: https://registrar.utexas.edu/schedules/242/finals
Departments can change a class's default final exam period to a different approved final exam period which will require Dean's office approval. All published final exams must be given during an approved final exam period.
How do I look up published final exam schedules?
- Final Exam Schedule for a Class (Unique Number required)
- My Final Exam Schedule (Students only; UT EID required)
(Click for more information)
Take-home exams and papers
Schedule paper or take home exam turn-ins in departmental rooms. GPCs cannot be scheduled for these.
Exams in departmental classrooms
Departmental rooms are not controlled by our office. We do not monitor conflicts in these rooms nor do we control the locking or unlocking of these spaces.