GI Bill®

Eligibility for veteran and dependent education benefits is determined by the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). If you are considering applying to UT Austin and have general questions, contact the student veteran services for assistance. You must be admitted to the university and registered for courses in a degree-seeking program before being certified for veteran's and dependent’s education benefits. Our veterans’ and dependent’s educational benefits booklet provides more information about VA benefits at the university.

The President signed into law the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act also known as the “Forever GI Bill,” which brings significant changes to Veterans education benefits. Read the summaries on the VA website to find out how those changes may affect you.

How do I get my GI benefits?

  1. AFTER you've registered for classes, complete the online questionnaire and upload the necessary supporting documents. If you are a graduate student, be prepared to submit a letter from your graduate adviser or coordinator confirming how your classes count for that semester.
  2. If you are using MGIB or REAP, remember to verify your attendance with the VA!

Student responsibility for tuition

You are responsible for paying your tuition and confirming that your registration is complete by the tuition deadline, even if you owe a $0 balance. If you do not, your registration will cancel and you must sign up for your classes again. If you incur late registration fees, the VA will not pay them.

If you are using the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, the university can “cover” your tuition at your eligibility rate.

  • Complete the online questionnaire.
  • Upload a copy of your award letter from the VA from the last time you used it, or a printout from or eBenefits (including entitlement and complete enrollment history) on the VA website. If you are using the benefits for the first time, submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility. We will notify the student accounts receivable office to post coverage to your tuition.
  • If you are receiving GI Bill®under any chapter, you are eligible to receive a waiver of the nonresident tuition.  Contact the residency office to request the waiver for the nonresident tuition amount. If you are using the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, the waiver must be posted to your tuition bill before we certify you.
  • Review your online tuition bill to verify the coverage has been posted (Post-9/11 GI Bill® only) or to pay your tuition. If you owe a $0 balance, click on the “confirm attendance” button; otherwise follow the prompts. (Options for paying any remaining balance are available on the online tuition bill.) Your tuition bill should state, **Your registration is complete and your courses are secured.**
  • Contact Special Billing if you have questions about your tuition bill.

What will UT Austin and the VA do?

The Office of the Registrar will start certifying enrollment with the VA after the online tuition bills are distributed. After that, it may take us up to 15 business days to certify you. If you are not registered for your classes when you submit the questionnaire, the 15-day period will begin after you are registered.

It may take the VA several weeks to process the certification we submit. They will pay the Post-9/11 tuition benefits 15 days prior to the beginning of the semester if we have already certified you. They pay the housing benefits or monthly stipends in arrears following the end of the month. If you are using the MGIB or REAP, remember to verify your attendance with the VA.

Yellow Ribbon Program

UT Austin is participating in the Yellow Ribbon program for the 2017--2018 academic year. It is awarded to undergraduate students on a first-come, first-serve basis. Review Department of Veterans Affairs Yellow Ribbon for more information.