Student Academic Records Name Change Guidelines

All name change requests must be submitted with supporting
documentation. Changes to the first, middle, and/or last name, suffix, or
sequence of names will require the original or a certified copy of one of the

  • Government Issued ID (driver license, state ID card, valid passport)
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Court Order (must show change to new name)
  • Divorce Decree (must show change to new name)
  • Certificate of Naturalization/Green Card
  • Documentation of Common Law Marriage/Civil Union

We do not require documentation to add/delete a hyphen,
space, apostrophe, or to abbreviate a middle name to initial.

If you are unable to visit the office in-person, a name
change request with supporting documentation can be mailed to the address
below. Please include your EID, dates of attendance, date of request, current
address, phone number, and signature(s) in both the old and new name. We will
return any documentation to the address you provide along with confirmation of
the change.

University of Texas at Austin
of the Registrar
Academic Records
Box 7216
TX 78713-7216