UT Course Schedule, Summer 1996 Definitions and Information

Access periods. The designated time periods when specified groups of students may register or add/drop using the Telephone Enrollment Exchange. You may access the system as many times as necessary during your scheduled and open periods. Consult the access schedules in this Course Schedule to determine when you are eligible to call. If you attempt to access TEX at a time when you are not eligible, your call will be terminated immediately. You are advised to register during the earliest period for which you are eligible. If your registration call is terminated before you complete your transactions, call back to continue. All transactions completed prior to the termination are saved.

Adding a course. When you use transaction code 1 or 2, TEX checks certain conditions before adding the class to your schedule. If any of the conditions below prevent you from adding the class, TEX will tell you.

Maximum Number of Hours
Fall/Spring Summer
Undergraduate 17 14
Graduate 15 12
Graduate business 15 12
Law 16 14

Advising bar. A code placed on the record of a student who is required to consult an academic adviser before registering. A student may not access TEX until the advising bar is cleared by his or her major department on the computer. (See Academic Advising in this Course Schedule to determine if advising is required for you.)

Cancellation of registration. A student may cancel registration as follows: (1) after scheduling classes, but prior to creation of a fee bill, a student may call TEX and drop all classes, or (2) after creation of a fee bill, a student's registration will be canceled by the University if the bill is not paid by the deadline. After a fee bill has been created, the student is ineligible to access TEX until the bill has been paid or the registration has been canceled due to nonpayment.

Classes added, canceled, or changed after the Course Schedule is printed. Classes added after the Course Schedule is printed may be scheduled for you by TEX when you use the search option. Additional information about added courses is available from the academic departments offering them. If a class is canceled or the meeting time or room is changed after you have registered for it, that information will be reflected on your fee bill if the department offering the class notifies the registrar before fee bills are printed. If the class is canceled or changed after fee bills are printed, you may not be notified until the first class meeting.

Classification. The designation freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate. For undergraduates, classification is determined by the total number of semester hours of credit, including transferred credit, credit by examination, and credit earned by extension and correspondence, that have been accepted by the University and posted on the student's record (whether or not these hours are applicable toward a degree). Hours in progress and hours failed are not counted in determining classification.
Freshman 0 to 29 hours of credit
Sophomore 30 to 59 hours of credit
Junior 60 to 89 hours of credit
Senior more than 89 hours of credit

A graduate student is one who has been accepted to the Graduate School, the Graduate School of Business, or the School of Law. Degree-holding but nondegree-seeking students are classified as a separate group for registration purposes in access period one.

Your classification is printed on your RIS. Classification may change as a result of additional credit hours earned at the end of a semester or summer session. Use your updated classification to determine your access time.

Continuing student. A student who enrolled for the spring semester 1996 at the University. A student who receives an undergraduate degree from the University and enters the Graduate School is considered a new student.

Credit card transactions. You may charge your tuition and fees to your MasterCard or Visa. Additionally, you may clear most financial bars to gain access to TEX by charging the amount due to your MasterCard or Visa. Because this process depends on agencies and technical systems other than those at the University, under some circumstances you may not be able to clear your bars by credit card and will therefore be denied access to TEX. It is recommended that you clear financial bars before your scheduled access times by following the procedures outlined in Registration Procedure Details, step three.

Questions about credit card transactions should be directed to Student Accounts Receivable, (512) 475-7777.

Financial bar. A code placed on the record of a student to prevent the student from registering because of a delinquent debt to the University. Bars incurred after your RIS is printed may be placed on your record prior to your registration access period(s). In most cases, financial bars may be paid at the cashiers in MAI 8 by check or cash, or by telephone using a credit card. Western Union Quick Collect may also be used to pay for financial bars. Some financial bars must be resolved in person at the administrative office that imposed the bar.

In absentia registration. A student who has completed all requirements for a degree and needs to register only for the purpose of graduating may register in absentia. Undergraduate and law students must initiate in absentia requests through their academic dean by July 19. If payment is received by the deadline, the in absentia registration is complete. If payment is received after the deadline, the in absentia registration will be applied automatically to the next semester. If you apply near the deadline, hand-carry the request and payment to Registration Supervision, MAI 16, to ensure payment by the deadline.

For graduate students, in absentia registration is initiated by degree evaluators. May 31 is the deadline for graduate students to be registered in absentia for the summer session.

New student. A student who has not previously attended the University, or a student entering the Graduate School for the first time.

Nonfinancial bar. A code placed on the record of a student who is not eligible to register because a requirement of an administrative office has not been satisfied. See Registration Procedure Details, step three, for information on clearing bars. Bars incurred after your RIS is printed may be placed on your record prior to your registration access period(s). A nonfinancial bar must be resolved in person at the administrative office that imposed the bar.

Optional fee changes. If you want to add or delete an optional fee after your initial registration call, you may call TEX during any of your access times and use transaction code 5 to change your optional fee selections. TEX will prompt you to enter the optional fee code to be added or deleted. (See the Registration Worksheet for a list of optional fee codes.) Optional fee code 66 may be used to list the optional fees selected. To make changes after you have paid your fee bill, go to the sponsoring department.

Payment. All checks must be drawn on U.S. banks in U.S. dollars. Collection charges resulting from checks drawn otherwise will be charged to the student. See Methods of Payment.

Personal identification number (PIN). A six-digit number that is used with a student's identification number to gain access to TEX. Initially, each student's PIN is assigned automatically and is based on his or her birthdate. For example, a student born on January 2, 1976, is assigned the number 010276 (month/day/year). Students are required to change their original PIN to a six-digit number of their own choosing the first time they access TEX, and are advised to change the PIN often to prevent unauthorized access to their records on TEX.

If you lose or forget your PIN, go to Registration Supervision, MAI 16, with a photo ID for assistance. To change your PIN, call (512) 475-9950.

Prerequisites. Course prerequisites printed in the Course Schedule and/or University catalogs are not checked by TEX. However, students are advised to meet prerequisites since they may be enforced by the department offering the course.

Readmitted student. A former student at the University who has applied for readmission and has been accepted for the summer session 1996.

Registration by proxy. For registration and advising transactions that must be completed in person, a student may allow another person to act on his or her behalf. However, federal law (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) and University regulations do not permit the release of confidential information without written authorization. To allow another to act as your proxy, obtain a Registration by Proxy form in Registration Supervision, MAI 16. Complete and sign the authorization. Your proxy must present the signed authorization and his or her own photo ID to complete registration transactions on your behalf. Note: Your proxy may not sign a tuition loan promissory note.

Your fee bill may be picked up using the same proxy authorization described above. See Payment Procedure Details for fee bill distribution dates and times.

Registration Information Sheet (RIS). A form prepared for each student that lists personal information, advising information, registration times, and financial and nonfinancial bar information. See the instructions under each registration access period to determine where to obtain your RIS.

Student identification (ID) number. The student's social security number or a nine-digit number assigned by the University to a student who does not have a social security number.

Teacher certification status. If you are seeking teacher certification, your status will be printed on the Registration Information Sheet. If the information listed is not accurate, contact the College of Education dean's office, SZB 216, (512) 471-3223. The following list of abbreviations may be helpful in interpreting this information:
ELEM Elementary school (grades 1 through 8)
SEC Secondary school (grades 6 through 12)
AL All-level (grades 1 through 12)
EN Endorsement (added teaching areas for certified teachers)
SSP Special service positions (graduate programs for certified teachers)
S Degree seeker
H Degree holder

TEX (Telephone Enrollment eXchange). A computerized system that gives a student access to registration functions and other services via a touch-tone telephone.

Touch-tone telephone. A telephone that emits tones instead of clicks when the keys are pressed.

Transaction codes. The numeric codes that represent the registration and add/drop functions listed below. Use them when prompted by TEX by pressing the appropriate keys on your touch-tone phone.

1 - to drop a course dependent upon successfully adding another course. The drop transaction will take place only if the add transaction is successful.
2 - to register for or add a course. If the unique number you request is not available, TEX will offer to search for another section of the same course only if seats are available in other sections.
3 - to drop a course.
4 - to change registration in a course to or from the pass/fail or credit/no credit basis.
5 - to change optional fee selection.
6 - to list your schedule by course abbreviation, course number, and unique number.
8 - to calculate or pay tuition and fees and end the call.
Note: Transaction code 8 is operational during registration periods only. However, payment of tuition and fees by credit card or electronic funds transfer is not available during access period 1. If your fees are zero or if you are eligible to charge your fee bill to your financial aid, transaction code 8 may be used to complete your registration and receive a fee receipt rather than a fee bill.
9 - to end the call immediately.
* - to clear and reenter a partially entered response. For example, if you make a mistake entering your student ID number, press * and you will be prompted by TEX to reenter the number. Note, however, that * will not recall a completed response such as a single digit entered as a transaction code. If you enter transaction code 1, 2, 3, or 4 in error, you may enter the nonexistent unique number 99999 to respond to TEX's request for a unique number. This will have no effect on your registration, and you may then continue with other transaction codes.

Western Union Quick Collect. Payment for delinquent debts and registration may be made by Western Union Quick Collect (cash transaction). To use Quick Collect, complete a blue Quick Collect Payment Form at a Western Union Office (call 1-800-325-6000 to locate the nearest office), indicating that the amount is payable to "University Texas Austin" and the code city is "Longhorns, TX." The type of payment should be listed as either "financial bars" or "summer 1996 registration." You must also give your name and student ID number. The transaction will cost $10.50 cash.

Withdrawal. To formally resign from the University as a student for the current semester. A student cannot withdraw from the University by dropping all classes, but must follow the withdrawal procedure.

After tuition and fees have been paid, a student must apply to his or her dean for permission to withdraw. Refunds are processed according to the refund schedule listed under Fees and Deposits in this Course Schedule and on the Withdrawal Petition and Refund Request form. Students who withdraw prior to the first day of classes will receive a 100 percent refund of tuition and required fees, less a $15 matriculation fee. Withdrawals for medical reasons must be approved by the associate director for clinical services of the Student Health Center, who will instruct the registrar to withdraw the student under specified conditions. The refund, if any, will be determined by the effective date on the withdrawal petition form.


Next Section | Table of Contents | Course Offerings | UT Home Page | Registrar's Home Page

2 April 1996. Registrar's Web Team
Comments to rgsch@utxdp.dp.utexas.edu